Baylham Sluice Repairs/Rebuild
From oak tree to river control in several not quite so easy steps.
The sluice gates just above Baylham Mill were constructed back in 1793 to control the flow of water down river through the mill, lock or down the old river course. The miller would raise or lower the gates to control the amount of water he needed to drive the mill stones. The Onians Trust asked us to rebuild them ready to get the mill back into working order.
The oak came from the Glemham estate of Jason Gathorne-Hardy who also provided the work-space for the timber to be cut to size and prepared, before transport and erection at Baylham.
The River Gipping Trust Ltd is a company limited by guarantee. Registered in England No. 06145692. Registered as a charity No. 1119586 Registered Office: Island House, Moor Road, CHESHAM, HP5 1NZ Tel : 03303 308531
Mainstay Web Design